Wednesday 16 November 2011

Week Six

This week was all about still life. Our main focus was an arrangement of flowers sat on a table with two directional lights shining onto it. We started off with two 1 minute sketches which then progressed onto a longer 3 minute one:



The main purpose of doing these quick sketches was to try and speed up our drawings. They were plans before the final sketch. I feel that I still need to improve on this method, I tend to rush my sketches and not concentrate enough on proportions or the placement of objects. After the 3 minute sketch we did a 5 minute one which we then used as the plan for the main drawing:


I already had a 5 minute plan down, so I corrected the plan and went over it to make it look how I wanted it to, then I could move onto adding details and shading to create a 3 dimensional drawing. I am very pleased with how this turned out, I feel that I have really improved on my shading, I have managed to make the vase look round and the table cloth look folded. If I did this again, I would have worked more on the flowers, defining the petals and the stems more. I added in a background in the last few minutes of this sketch to make the object belong, not just floating in white space. I don't feel as if I got the table top right, it's not the right shape because I was at a difficult angle and couldn't master it. I concentrated a lot on how light hits a surface this week, and tried to get the feel of light bouncing into my picture, especially on the vase and table.

No comments:

Post a Comment