Tuesday 8 November 2011

Week Five

This week I went out into the city of Bradford and did sketches of landscapes. I focussed on different perspectives, compositions and shading, as I wanted to bring all the skills I had learnt during the previous weeks together. These are a selection of my best sketches:


This picture is of a factory on the street, I like this because it looks as if the street goes on towards my horizon line towards it's vanishing point. I feel this helps it to have a good composition, as well as how the tallest part of the picture is towards the right hand side rather than being situated in the middle. The quality of the lines could have been improved if I spent more time over them. I used a 2B pencil for this sketch and it took me 15 minutes to complete.



This sketch is of a church drawn from a distance with a garden in the foreground. The composition for this picture went well as the eye follows the wall down the road then stops at the main feature, instead of the eye just concentrating on the church. I feel this effectively uses the rule of thirds. For the bushes behind the fence I used a simple swirl effect to give the impression of the leaves, without actually having to individually draw each leaf.


This picture was drawn at Whitby. This day was really bright and sunny, creating massive shadows from all the gravestones. This uses 2 point perspective and the vanishing points can clearly be identified. Overall, I like this drawing because I have combined lots of different new techniques and created something that has good composition and has different shades to it, representing the light and dark areas. I used a 2B pencil for this drawing and it took me around 40 minutes to complete.

No comments:

Post a Comment